Friday, December 23, 2011

Painting a glow tutorial


Hi Lads, today I thought I would show you how to make a glow effect on your models. You will need 3 paints. As I am doing blue I used Mordinan Blue, Ice Blue and Skull White.


 You start by painting with the darkest colour where you want the source of the light to come from.





You then use a mix of the dark paint with a the same amount of the lighter shade. You repeat the process but you don’t go all the way to the edges.

Next you use just the lighter mixed with enough white so it appears almost white and apply it again but only on parts of the model.



Lastly you use just you middle shade paint (Ice Blue for me) and dry bush the colour on all around and in the glow area to make it blend.


Once this is done you highlight the rest of the model and in my case use some Black wash to town down and clean up the glow.

7 comments:

  1. Pics 2 and 3 are in the wrong order. Just letting you know.

    Also, a dark blue wash added to the inside edges of the glow adds a bit more depth by emphasizing the shadows around the light. Wash it, and then suck most of it up with a clean, dry brush. You'll have a nice dark line at the very edges.

    Great tutorial, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers mate, and i fixed the order of the pics. I will try out the wash for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zali, I'm sure you won't mind. Going to steal your glow and paint my Necrons with it. I'm really impressed. Thanks!

    Nice tip, AoM. I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this . made it s a bit more extesive but now im colout coding my necrons :P
    1 unit waariors with cryptek ghost arkn1-3 spiders green
    second of these with blue glow
    third with a red etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. damn i need to learn how to type....
    please excuse mefor the lazy typing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to figure out how to do this for my necron's red glow. I've tried doing it red to orange to a bit of yellow but it comes out wrong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe start with a really dark red (like scab red, or the new equivalent), then go to a lighter one (blood red/new equivalent) and then finish with an off white?

      Delete